Court Denies Bail to Dual Citizen in Alleged $5m NDIS Fraud Scheme
An Australian court has denied bail to a 38-year-old dual Australian-Nigerian citizen accused of involvement in an alleged $5 million fraud scheme targeting Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
Foluso Omole appeared before the Adelaide Magistrates Court after Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers arrested him at Adelaide Airport on Friday, with prosecutors alleging that he had been preparing to leave Australia.
According to evidence presented in court, Omole had purchased what prosecutors described as a one-way ticket to Nigeria, raising concerns that he could leave the jurisdiction and evade legal proceedings.
The prosecution also alleged that significant funds had been transferred to Nigeria during the period of the alleged offending, where Omole’s wife resides.
Prosecution raises flight-risk concerns
The prosecution told the court that Omole had effectively “cut ties” in Adelaide and was preparing to travel overseas when police arrested him.
Magistrate Patrick Hill ultimately refused the bail application, citing concerns over the accused’s potential flight risk.
The magistrate said the nature of the alleged travel arrangements was relevant to the court’s assessment of whether Omole could be trusted to remain in Australia while the case proceeds.
“Whether it was a one-way ticket to Nigeria or a return ticket to London do make a difference as to the court’s assessment of whether or not Mr Omole is a flight risk,” Hill said.
The court subsequently ordered that Omole remain in custody pending his next appearance.
Accused denies charges
Omole’s defence lawyer, Mark Twiggs, disputed the prosecution’s characterisation of his client’s travel plans.
The lawyer told the court that Omole had informed him that he intended to travel on a return ticket to London, which had allegedly been purchased before police raided the home of another person connected to the investigation.
Twiggs also stressed that the charges against his client had been denied.
“The charges are denied. He has no record at all,” the lawyer told the court, arguing that Omole had good reasons to be granted bail.
Omole has not yet entered pleas to the charges against him.
How the alleged fraud was carried out
Prosecutors allege that Omole was working as an NDIS coordinator while also operating two businesses that employed several staff members during the period under investigation.
The prosecution further alleged that he improperly obtained information from a woman employed by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) over a period of about six years.
According to the allegations before the court, Omole used information obtained from the woman to secure benefits fraudulently.
The woman has also been charged in connection with the alleged offending and was scheduled to appear in court separately.
Omole faces two charges relating to alleged dealings involving proceeds of crime.
One charge alleges that he dealt with proceeds of indictable crime exceeding $1 million, while the second relates to dealing with money or property worth more than $1 million that was allegedly proceeds of crime.
Next court appearance
The allegations remain before the court and have not been proven.
Omole will return to court next month as the legal proceedings continue.
The case is likely to attract further attention in Nigeria and Australia because of the alleged movement of funds between the two countries and the involvement of an Australian-Nigerian dual citizen.